Child Travel Consent Letter

A child travel consent letter, unsurprisingly, as the name suggests, demonstrates that children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying the child during these travels.

Critically, while a travel consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, it may be requested by airlines, immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country, or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada.

Even more critically, while a consent letter does not guarantee children will be allowed to enter or leave a country, it is strongly recommended that Canadian children have a travel consent letter notary passed, if they are traveling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, or with friends or relatives.

Simply bring your unsigned child travel consent letter to The Notary Guy, along with an unexpired, valid photo ID.

If you need assistance in drafting the child travel consent letter, The Notary Guy can help! We draft child travel consent letters for a nominal fee. Contact us for more information.

The Notary Guy, Mississauga’s leading notary public, will efficiently verify your identity, and witness you providing your consent in the form of a signature. The Notary Guy is a licensed Notary Public in Mississauga. Book your appointment today.

Are you looking for a Notary Public Mississauga to notarize your Child Travel Consent Letter? Contact The Notary Guy to help with your Notary Public Mississauga needs. 


A Child Travel Consent Letter gives permission for a child to travel without one/both parents or legal guardians. The letter is usually used when a child is traveling with a single parent or with a non-parental adult, such as a family friend or a grandparent.

A CTCL may be required for visiting Canada if the child is traveling without both parents or legal guardians, or if he/she is traveling with one parent. This is because Canadian border officials may need to confirm that the child has permission to travel and that the child’s welfare is being safeguarded in a proper manner.

To write a Child Travel Consent Letter for visiting Canada, you need to include the full name, date of birth and passport information of the child. The full name and contact information of an accompanying parent or guardian should also be included in this, including the dates of travel and the purpose of the trip.

It is highly recommended to get your child travel consent letter notarized.

A Child Travel Consent Letter may also be used for traveling to other countries besides Canada, although the requirements for every country may vary. It is recommended to review the requirements for traveling with children to any country that you are planning to visit, or to provide any necessary documentation.

We are online 24/7

Contact Us For Any Questions