RINs, or Registrant Identification Numbers, are unique 9-digit numbers that serve as the official identifiers for your cars with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. In order to get a licence plate and permit for your company car, you will need a RIN.

Why Would You Need A RIN Number?

A RIN is not required for personal automobiles, just commercial ones. Each vehicle operating inside Canada must have proper identification and a license from the federal government. If your company has a car registered in Ontario, either by purchase or leasing, you must follow all applicable rules and regulations.

Prior to having license plates affixed to a vehicle in Ontario, it must be registered and insured. Most states need a driver’s license for anybody operating a motor vehicle, but a Registrant Identification Number (RIN) is required for any company or organization that wants to register a vehicle in its name (RIN).

The RIN certifies that the company or corporation is allowed to register the vehicle under its name. As proof that the directors/owners have given their legal authorization, the Ministry needs statutory declarations and affidavits signed by the board of directors of the corporation/owners of firms.

What Role Does a RIN Play?

RINs may be thought of as “personal driver’s licences.” Ontario’s government recognizes that companies and corporations cannot legally operate vehicles in the province, therefore it established the RIN system as an alternative. The RIN must be linked to the corporate entity that owns the cars.

Businesses use automobiles for several reasons, and each vehicle they own must have a RIN. This Registrant Identification Number serves as a confirmation of identification in the event of a car accident, theft, or unauthorized usage.

Only after obtaining a RIN will you be handed the green document (the driving permission) and license plate stickers.

The Question Is, What If I Have Not Incorporated My Business?

Any legal entity, whether it be a single proprietorship, partnership, or corporation, may apply for a RIN.

However, what if I don’t have a RIN?

The penalties for an accident, theft, or other unlawful usage are the same as they would be if you did not have a license. The primary violation of the law is the lack of a RIN. Having a RIN letter protects businesses legally and makes it easier to deal with crises.

How Do I Obtain a RIN?

  • Construct a legal declaration: You’ll need to compile certain details and swear to their veracity in a statutory declaration.
  • Legally binding statement to be notarized: A notary public in the province of Ontario must attest to the authenticity of your statutory statement. A statutory declaration requires the notary public to confirm your identification, authenticate the business papers, and attach the notary seal.

When applying for a RIN, do I need to provide any documents that have been notarized?

Create a new RIN for your company if you don’t already have one. To do so, you’ll need to submit certain documents to the Ministry of Transportation, including a declaration that was made under oath in the presence of a Notary Public.

A Notary Public will attest to your identification, authenticate the business’s papers, and attach the Notarial Seal to your oath.

You may need to verify your RINs if you are an obligated party. This can include refiners and importers of gasoline, diesel, or jet fuel, blenders of gasoline or diesel with ethanol, and biobased product producers.

Verification is a must for all renewable identification number (RIN) credits generated in the reporting year by any obligated party who wishes to use those credits for compliance purposes during that same reporting year.

You can request a waiver if you’re unable to comply with annual standards for specific categories.

You can request a waiver if you’re unable to comply with annual standards for specific categories. For example, if you have an equipment failure and can’t produce RINs in time because of it, or have lost production due to a natural disaster or other unforeseen circumstances, you may get a waiver.

Be aware that waivers are not always granted: your company has to prove that its inability to meet the standards is due to “extraordinary circumstances” beyond its control. The EPA grants most requests within 90 days; however, it can take longer than this deadline in cases where there is incomplete information or conflicting information provided by the applicant. If your application got neglected or deemed deficient by the EPA, they will provide feedback on how they believe your applications got revised before resubmitting it (this may include a request for additional documentation).


This article helped you understand the basics of notarized letter for rin and what to do with them if you get a letter from EPA. If you want more information about the RFS program or other compliance issues, check out our full library of articles here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *